The Edifying Spectacle's Journal|
[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
The Edifying Spectacle's LiveJournal:
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Friday, March 4th, 2005|
Attention South Florida Atheists, Agnostics, Freethinkers, and Humanists
Our current members and I of the Broward Atheists Meetup (www.browardatheists.com and in www.meetup.com) welcome all interested in atheism, theism, freethought, agnosticism, humanism, transhumanism, state and church seperation (otherwise known as seperation of sturch), and related topics to our Tuesday meetings after 6:30pm. The www.browardatheists.com website has details on our venue, it is currently a pub, but will change when more members are acquired. We're already bulging at the seams with an average attendance of about twelve. No matter your age, beliefs, or preferences, we'd like to hear your opinion. Even the sternest Christians may come and present their thoughts, because if you really believe we're going to hell, we sure don't want to be wrong about the subject, haha, but most members are pretty confident about their atheism and agnosticism. I mention the invitation only to be open-minded. Anyways, we usually discuss religion, politics, philosophy, etc. but do not feel obligated to have to order anything despite it being a pub. There is no membership fee either, it is an informal event so far seeing how we have too few to be more organized, but we'd like to be! And we'd like to have enough people to start some activism and be as productive as possible.
Aside from the weekly Tuesday meetings, there are fun events such as campfires and beach barbeques scheduled. We sure would like to cooperate with other groups and more members to voice the rights and freedoms we and others deserve regardless of our beliefs and with your ideas and help, this can be made possible. The current goal is to eliminate the negative stigma attached to our labels by altruism and stoicism such as scholarships and good deeds. E-mail me with any questions or better yet, any one else you can get in contact with from the website to get a clearer understanding of who and what we are. We turn no one down and encourage debate, skepticism, and reason. The meetings are definitely worthwhile and interesting or else I wouldn't waste the little free time I have as a college student to invite any one else to come join the experience. If you are in the area and find the time inconvenient with your busy schedule, no hard feelings will be had, but at least sign the guestbook so we can know you support us and wish you could come. :-)
|Friday, September 17th, 2004|
Since I'm a proud Christian conservative, I often feel the need to turn people into Christian conservatives just like me. I found this amazingly heart-warming story in my favorite Live Journal community, Bush2004, and I thought I would share it with all of you.
A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so
many others her age she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat
and was for distribution of all wealth.
She felt deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican
which she expressed openly. One day she was challenging her father on
his beliefs and his opposition to higher taxes on the rich & the
addition of more government welfare programs. Based on the lectures that
she had participated in and the occasional chat with a professor she
felt that for years her father had obviously harbored an evil, even
selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.
The self professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be
the truth and she indicated so to her father.
He stopped her and asked her point blank, how she was doing in school.
She answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know
that it was tough to maintain. That she studied all the time, never had
time to go out and party like other people she knew.
She didn't even have time for a boyfriend and didn't really have many
college friends because of spending all her <> time
That she was taking a more difficult curriculum.
Her father listened and then asked, "How is your good friend Kwanisha
She replied, "Kwanisha is barely getting by." She continued, "She barely has
a 2.0 GPA," adding, "Kwanisha doesn't have the luxury of having her College Tuition paid for by a rich daddy like I do. Kwanish has to WORK much harder for her education, literally. She works a full-time job and never has time to study. She can barely even afford to pay all her bills on time." She continued "I doubt Kwanisha is going to even pass this semester. She will probably get suspended for having such a poor GPA, and have to continue working her low-wage job in order to pay off the remainder of her tuition."
Her father then asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's
office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your 4.0 GPA and give it to your
friend who only has a 2.0." He continued, "That way you will both have a
3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of
The daughter visibly shocked by her father's suggestion angrily fired
back, "That wouldn't be fair! I got all your
money for mine, I did
without and Mary has worked extremely hard for hers, she worked while I didn't have to work at all!"
The father slowly smiled, winked and said, "Welcome to the Republican
The daughter looked very confused, "Um...okay?"Well, I'll be honest; I like most of this story, but the part about Kwanisha throws me off. Not to mention, I don't like the sound of her name. It sounds deviant.
However, I'm glad the overall message of the story is in favor of Republicans like myself.
God bless all of your faces.
|Monday, September 13th, 2004|
OH heavens, I love new friends
, and I have a feeling so do all of you.
|Sunday, August 29th, 2004|
|Thursday, August 19th, 2004|
Hello my fellow Christians. I just joined and wanted to share my new color bar with you guys. I hope you like it. :)
Remember, we MUST defend our sacred marriage and other hot-button issues this upcomming election!
|Saturday, June 19th, 2004|
More biblepushing silliness proving we're all condemmed to hell!STEPS IN OVERCOMING MASTURBATION
Mark E. Petersen
Council of the 12 Apostles
Be assured that you can be cured of your difficulty. Many have been, both male and female, and you can be also if you determine that it must be so. This determination is the first step. That is where we begin. You must decide that you will end this practice, and when you make that decision, the problem will be greatly reduced at once.
After you have made this decision, then observe the following specific guidelines:
A Guide to Self-Control:
1. Never touch the intimate parts of your body except during normal toilet processes.
2. Avoid being alone as much as possible. Find good company and stay in this good company.
3. If you are associated with other persons having this same problem, YOU MUST BREAK OFF THEIR FRIENDSHIP. Never associate with other people having the same weakness. Don't suppose that two of you will quit together, you never will. You must get away from people of that kind. Just to be in their presence will keep your problem foremost in your mind. The problem must be taken OUT OF YOUR MIND for that is where it really exists. Your mind must be on other and more wholesome things.
4. When you bathe, do not admire yourself in a mirror. Never stay in the bath more than five or six minutes -- just long enough to bathe and dry and dress AND THEN GET OUT OF THE BATHROOM into a room where you will have some member of your family present.
5. When in bed, if that is where you have your problem for the most part, dress yourself for the night so securely that you cannot easily touch your vital parts, and so that it would be difficult and time consuming for you to remove those clothes. By the time you started to remove protective clothing you would have sufficiently controlled your thinking that the temptation would leave you.
6. Never read pornographic material. Never read about your problem. Keep it out of mind. Remember -- "First a thought, then an act."
1. Pray daily, ask for the gifts of the Spirit, that which will strengthen you against temptation. Pray fervently and out loud when the temptations are the strongest.
2. When the temptation to masturbate is strong, yell STOP to those thoughts as loudly as you can in your mind and then recite a pre-chosen Scripture or sing an inspirational hymn. It is important to turn your thoughts away from the selfish need to indulge.
3. Set goals of abstinence, begin with a day, then a week, month, year and finally commit to never doing it again. Until you commit yourself to never again you will always be open to temptation.
5. Use principles of developing friendships found in books such as How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
6. Make a pocket calendar for a month on a small card. Carry it with you, but show it to no one. If you have a lapse of self control, color the day black. Your goal will be to have no black days. The calendar becomes a strong visual reminder of self control and should be looked at when you are tempted to add another black day. Keep your calendar up until you have at least three clear months.
7. In the field of psychotherapy there is a very effective technique called aversion therapy. When we associate or think of something very distasteful with something which has been pleasurable, but undesirable, the distasteful thought and feeling will begin to cancel out that which was pleasurable. If you associate something very distasteful with your loss of self-control it will help you to stop the act. For example, if you are tempted to masturbate, think of having to bathe in a tub of worms, and eat several of them as you do the act.
8. during your toileting and shower activities leave the bathroom door or shower curtain partly open, to discourage being alone in total privacy. Take cool brief showers.
9. Avoid people, situations, pictures or reading materials that might create sexual excitement.
10. In very severe cases it may be necessary to tie a hand to the bed frame with a tie in order that the habit of masturbating in a semi-sleep condition can be broken. This can also be accomplished by wearing several layers of clothing which would be difficult to remove while half asleep.
11. Set up a reward system for your successes. It does not have to be a big reward. A quarter in a receptacle each time you overcome or reach a goal. Spend it on something which delights you and will be a continuing reminder of your progress.
12. Do not let yourself return to any past habit or attitude patterns which were part of your problem. Satan Never Gives Up. Be calmly and confidently on guard. Keep a positive mental attitude. You can win this fight! The joy and strength you will feel when you do will give your whole life a radiant and spiritual glow of satisfaction and fulfillment.
|Tuesday, June 8th, 2004|
One thing about the Christian conservative zealots: they say nuttier things than you could make up for them.
''If you let the horse out of the gate too far, it's hard to get the horse back in,'' Mat Staver, president of the Liberty Counsel, a conservative, Orlando, Fla.-based law group, told the three-judge panel.
Gay-marriage foes take case to federal court
The plaintiffs contend that if gay marriages continue, only to be outlawed then, there will be more "marital mayhem" with legal challenges and complicated questions of child custody, benefits, tax filings, and other issues, said Mat Staver, president of the Liberty Counsel, a conservative law group based in Orlando, Fla.
Coalition asks US court to halt gay marriages
Somewhat pathetically their gay party-mates will be running 350 minutes of television advertising that'll surely influence George Bush. Poor log cabin queers keep telling themselves that he's accepting bad advice from fundagelicals. Actually Bush II is working on the advice of some secular party strategists who had all this worked out last year.
A national organization of Republicans who back gay rights will bring a 30-second television ad to the Toledo area that opposes President Bush's call for a constitutional amendment against gay marriages.
The ad will run more than 700 times on local television stations, Christopher Barron, political director for the Log Cabin Republicans ...
Gay advocates start TV ad campaign
Better to support homophobes than vote for John Kerry isn't it you greedy little homos?
|Monday, June 7th, 2004|
LONDON - Microsoft has made it easy for those lazy students
who have to get through Greek mythology. They have trans-
lated the first five books of Homer's ancient Greek poem
"The Iliad" into the language used when sending instant
messages. Book two is compressed into just 24 words of
'messenger speak," losing much of the lyricism of the orig-
inal. "Agamemnon hd a dream: Troy not defended. Ordered
attack! But Trojans knew they were coming n were prepared.
Achilles sat sulking in his tent." The translation was
created to publicize Microsoft's messenger product and is
obviously not written in Homer's dactylic hexameters. How-
ever, it does use 'emoticons' - little faces or images - to
emphasize dramatic moments.
|Friday, May 28th, 2004|
|Tuesday, May 25th, 2004|
Coors isn't for Queers
A long time ago an empty headed woman named Anita Bryant, an ex-Miss America turned Florida Orange Juice spokesperson used her small celebrity to launch a war against early gay civil rights protection provided by Dade Country (Miami) Florida.
Screwdrivers weren't served in many gay bars. I don't know how much effect the orange juice boycott had but it did make you feel good to make even a token positive statement in those early days.
Coors Brewery was run by one of the most vocally homophobic capitalists of the time.(Still is.) No self-respecting gay bar would serve it. The boycott continues, though I haven't been in a gay bar for along time. Perhaps many uncaring bar owners serve it and their indifferent customers drink it.
No longer content to merely finance hate one of the Coors family members is seeking political office:
Pete Coors, from the Coors Brewery family, is running for U.S. Senate as a Republican from Colorado. He's also giving America a good reason to make sure he's not elected. …
Each purchase of Coors Beer seems to not only fund an ideology of discrimination, but now plays a direct role in electing officials aiming to undermine our nation's founding principles.
Coors Brewery Family Revives Need For Focused Boycott
|Wednesday, May 19th, 2004|
|Monday, May 10th, 2004|
|Sunday, April 11th, 2004|
Lot's godly example
Iain Macwhirter takes an entertaining look at the holy bible.
Lot keeps a house in Sodom, and is visited by two angels seeking refuge. However, a large group of Sodomite men come and besiege Lot’s house demanding to have sexual intercourse with the angels. Lot bars their way and tells them: “Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them to you and you can do what you like with them” (Genesis 18:20). The Sodomite men aren’t interested in Lot’s virgins, and burst into his house, after which the angels turn them all blind. God tells Lot and his family to flee and not look back. But of course, his wife doesn’t listen and meets her salty end.
Does this mean that Christians should be offering their virgin daughters to gay men?
Thereafter, Lot hides in the mountains with his two daughters. Bored without male company, they get their father drunk and each has sex with him. Lot’s daughter becomes pregnant with Moab, father of the Moabites and Ben Ammi, father of the Ammonites (Genesis 19:34).
I am not making this up. This is exactly how it is written. I realise you are not supposed to take the Bible literally. But even as metaphor or parable, I can detect no moral message or guidance from these bizarre episodes in Genesis. And that is only the start.
The whole article: The Good Book
In impassioned, elegant prose, celebrated author Susan Jacoby paints a striking portrait of more than two hundred years of secularist activism, beginning with the fierce debate over the omission of God from the Constitution. Moving from nineteenth-century abolitionism and suffragism through the twentieth century’s civil liberties, civil rights, and feminist movements, Freethinkers illuminates the neglected accomplishments of secularists who, allied with liberal and tolerant religious believers, have stood at the forefront of the battle for reforms opposed by reactionary forces in the past and today.
|Thursday, April 1st, 2004|
Bullshit Season 2: Penn & Teller take on the Bible
So long already faithless, skeptical that I'm normally not interested in proofs that irrational people believe groundless and foolish things. But Penn & Teller's Bullshit was funny. The guy with the magnet helmet alone was worth the time spent watching. Ah, the Feng Shui episode: watching a few expensive frauds contract one another in their presentation of home decoration aligned with the cosmic and spiritual forces. Since I no longer have cable TV I won't get to see season two until it comes out on DVD.
'This season we are doing Bible BS, because the Bible does have claims you can look into with archaeology . . . Things like perhaps the Jews being enslaved by the Egyptians, which looks like most of the archaeology now says that probably never happened,'' Jillette says. ``You're looking at someone who's going to get a bullet in his head, there's no doubt about it.''
No one's safe -- not even Jesus
|Tuesday, March 30th, 2004|
Speaking of crazy castrations..Utica, NY - Dayle Nisi has a fear of swimming in the nude after being hospitalized after going skinny dipping at a nearby lake. In a fresh water version of Jaws, this time instead of a shark, a giant snapping turtle used part of Nisi's anatomy as a meal. What part? Let's use Dayle Nisi's own words, "...I felt this excruciating pain in my groin and when I got my bearings, I realized a turtle had bitten my testicles and swam away with them. It's not a nice feeling, I'll tell you that."
And this just makes me giggle. Sao Paulo, Brazil - What do you do if you are a Siamese twin and your better half really gets on your nerves? Don't try what the late Marco de Solisa did to his late brother Roberto. After a heated argument, Marco pulled out a revolver and shot his brother in the head. They shared portions of the same circulatory system and when Roberto died, Marco soon followed.
(That's darwin award worthly.) Current Mood: amused
PHNOM PENH : A Cambodian man cut off his penis when he said he was visited by four hungry spirits in a dream and he had no chicken or duck to offer them. ...
"Devils, I don't have any chicken or duck for you," he was quoted as saying by local police chief Phoeung Vat. "If you want to eat anything, you can eat my penis."
Cambodian offers penis to spirits
A man who cut off his penis and testicles, was found running naked down a Canadian city street screaming "Repent, repent, fornicators."
Man cuts off penis and testicles
|Monday, March 29th, 2004|
Fellow atheist Bob Smith also had a cup of soda thrown on him when he went to see Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ dressed as Satan.
NEW YORK, March 23 (UPI) -- Urban Outfitters Inc. has canceled an order for 3,500 magnetic kits that allow buyers to dress a crucified Jesus in unusual outfits
Retailer pulls magnetic Jesus from shelves
A Tuscola County atheist has forced the county commissioners for abusing her when she criticized a Nativity scene.
Anonka has routinely clashed with Caro citizens and government officials. A mob toting Bibles once backed her into an alley, spit on her and threatened her, she said.
"They told me that I'm going to die," she said. "It will be a bullet in the brain or a stab in the back. I won't know where, and I won't know when."
Bryce Hoffman, The Saginaw News: Caro atheist receives court-ordered apology
|Friday, March 19th, 2004|
"If I had a hammer"
The passion for martyrdom ignites in Hartland, ME. The sap was didn't realize that you can't nail both of your hands into a cross without help. It isn't clear if he dialed 911 hoping for another hand with the hammer or for relief from pain.
Police said the man appeared delusional and told them he had been "seeing pictures of God on the computer." He told them he had not seen the hit movie The Passion of the Christ, which depicts the Crucifixion of Jesus.
Lt. Pierre Boucher said the man took two pieces of wood, nailed them together in the form of a cross and placed them on the floor. He attached a suicide sign to the wood and then proceeded to nail one of his hands to the makeshift cross using a 14-penny nail and a hammer.
Man treated after attempting to nail himself to cross